Today, I got a nice history lesson. I went to a Civil War re-enactment in semi-rural Illinois. It was pretty interesting, but the battle itself seemed quite unorganized. I'm not sure if that's how they fought back then, but it seemed as though there were three or four smaller battles going on in the field at any given moment. I don't think I would have enjoyed being on the front lines, seeing as though you were firing at each other at short ranges either. I learned that in 1860, the average life expectancy was only 33 years old, men were married at an average age of 14, and girls at 13. By the time a woman was 21, on average, she had given birth to 5 children, that is, if she was lucky to not have died during childbirth. You had a one in 500 chance to live to the age of 50. I guess we've come a really long way since then! Oh yeah, and doctors had two years of schooling, which was solely lecture based, and it was the same lectures two years in a row!
We also go the chance to pick out our pumpkins for Halloween. Next weekend, Elana is planning to throw a pumpkin carving party, so I'll have to make sure to take pictures of our "super scary", amateurly carved Halloween pumpkins.



No comments:
Post a Comment