Going abroad has been one of my long-term goals in life, and I'm always thinking of ways to expand my experiences. Since I've hit a bit of a rut in my life, I was doing some thinking yesterday and came to two conclusions:
1.) Quit my current full-time "career" and opt for one full-time and one part-time gig in my neighborhood and do that until I figure out what to do next with my life
2.) Work at my current place of employment, tack on a local part-time gig, pinch all of my pennies like never before, and when my lease is up, pack up my belongings, ship them to my folks' house, and leave the country for a bit, or at least as far as my savings takes me. This would probably lead me to Europe, as it's pretty easy and affordable to get around to different locales and I could probably pick up a hostel stint here and there for free/discount board and some extra cash
THEN, I stumbled upon something new. It's an organic farming program that has locations all over the world that entails going to work on someone's farm in exchange for room and board in most cases. Seeing as though I've had the thoughts of trying my hand at some farming for the past while, I think this might be a fun option. The only drawback is that I have no farming experience. Luckily, most posts are short-term, so if I didn't like it, I wouldn't be stuck in the situation forever. Maybe the best option would be to travel around for about a month or so, prior to this farming program, and then experience some real work before heading home for the next adventure?
Of course, the latter two options would probably entail moving back to Minnesota and living for free with my parents for a bit. I'm a huge fan of Chicago. Am I ready to leave? Would I be able to maintain my sanity living with my parents again? These are all big questions to ask myself before I take any big leaps.
In the meantime, tomorrow I begin my banjo lessons. Woo hoo! I'm a little nervous just because it will be a new social situation for me and I won't know anyone. For some odd reason, I feel more outgoing in those types of situations though. Perhaps because it is so forced?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment